Rising to prominence during the Industrial Revolution, Birmingham has stood out on the trading map for decades. Home to countless canals, a lively music scene and the Bullring shopping centre, the city is a hive for culture that’s supported by a steady stream of business. Birmingham is also renowned for its esteemed Jewellery Quarter, which produces 40% of the jewellery made on UK soil. It is a central district lined with jewellery shops and it attracts a huge number of British craftsmen and specialist retailers.
Birmingham is an ever-evolving city. It has come a long way since the Industrial Revolution, with fashionable shops, eateries and venues popping up across the city. The skyline and streetscape are constantly changing thanks to big government plans to make the city more accessible and connected while protecting its heritage. Base yourself in Birmingham and you’ll also have a number of the city’s own delicacies on your doorstep, from Balti curries to Cadbury’s chocolate.
- Total buildings in area: 19,592
- Largest unit available: 150,970 sq ft
- Total available: 1,128
- Most listings available on: Stratford Road
Trains: Birmingham New St, Birmingham Snow Hill, Birmingham Moor Street are all fairly central stations that serve the city.
Tram: There is a tram line connecting businesses across the centre.
Buses: Birmingham Coach Station (10 min walk from the Bullring & Grand Central). Network West Midlands runs a major network of local buses, serving various areas of the city and suburbs.
Airports: Birmingham Airport (15 min from Birmingham New St station)
Food places around – top picks
Perfect meeting places
- 18 gyms in central Birmingham Bannatyne Health Club The Gym easyGym
- 4 post offices in the centre Over 17 banks in the area, including Nationwide, HSBC, Barclays Bank, Lloyds Bank, TSB Bank, NatWest Bank and Santander
- Birmingham Hippodrome, Town Hall and Symphony Hall are theatres and music halls on the doorstep of offices across the city. The Bullring offers plenty of shopping opportunities.
Agents with the most listings in the area:
- Instant offices – 89
- GVA – 84
- Mason Young – 69
- Savills – 69
- Cushman and Wakefield – 63
- CBRE – 54
- Siddall Jones – 53
Iconic buildings on Realla
Meet the neighbours:
East End Foods
D. Leonardt & Co
Mercia Fund Management
The Ticket Factory
Big offices and coworking space in area:
- Areas in and around Birmingham provided some of the inspiration for J. R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit
- Cluedo, Bird’s Custard, the Balti curry, bicycle bells, photocopiers and X-Ray machines were all first made in Birmingham
- Birmingham City Council is the largest council in Europe
- Birmingham has more canals than Venice
- It also has more trees than Paris
- The jewellery quarter has the highest concentration of jewellers in Europe